MAKE A SPLASH THIS CHRISTMAS WITH THESE OCEAN FRIENDLY GIFT IDEAS FOR OCEAN LOVERS
Christmas is almost here and what’s not to love about that? Long summer days, beach time, holidays, family, food, friends and of course, gifts – so many gifts!
Steering away from plastics and non-recyclable materials can be challenging at the best of times but with the prospect of buying (and receiving) so many gifts in such a short period of time it can become overwhelming. But don’t fret! We’ve done the research and have compiled our top tips on planet-friendly gifts that will delight your loved ones and tread lightly – some even provide benefit to the ocean.
Here are our top picks for Ocean lovers this Christmas.
These handcrafted and thoughtfully designed products are made from recycled materials and the brands that create them give back to the planet:
- Spindrift Collections is boutique jewellery crafted by hand from recycled silver and beach glass. They also give 1% for the Planet.
- Ozeano sunglasses are constructed from eco-friendly materials and for each pair sold, Ozeano fund the removal of 12kg of plastic from the oceans.
- Afends produce swimwear for men and women constructed from recycled polyester and hemp. They have a strong focus on using sustainable materials.
- Adidas x Parley Eco-friendly runners are made from recycled plastic fibres.
- Adventure wear from Jack Wolfskin made from recycled PET bottles. Everything from the care label to the zipper in the Jack Wolfskin Ecosphere range is made from recycled materials.
- Earth friendly surfboards made of recycled polystyrene by Organic Dynamic.
These stylish & functional plastic living alternatives are sure to be a hit with any ocean lover:
- Seed and Sprout Metal lunch boxes , Zero waste travel kits or Plastic free tea sets are beautifully designed and the company has a real focus on reducing single use plastic. Not to mention they give back by donating to the Seabin Project and Wires.
- Create your own grooming or beauty basket that is entirely plastic free thanks to these eco-friendly deodorant, soap, shaving, shampoo, conditioner bars.
- For lovers or sparkling water 1 Soda stream bottle saves 2,190 bottles from going in the bin! Now you can quench your thirst guilt free!
- Re usable cups/mugs Huskee/ Frank Green + Coffee Sipp with compostable packaging.
- With a real commitment to cleaning up our beaches water bottles & metal straws by 4Ocean will also keep more plastic from making its way into the sea. 4Ocean also aim to eliminate waste at the end of their product lifecycle by taking back 4ocean products that our customers no longer use so they can be properly recycled or transformed into new products.
Ideal for the hard to buy for ocean lover:
- A memorable ocean experience is a gift that will last a lifetime. A whale watching trip, freediving course, shark dive or surf lessons are sure to delight.
- Tickets to the 2020 Ocean Film Festival World Tour are already on sale and are ideal for Ocean Lovers young and old. Buy 2 tickets and make a date with your gift recipient or book tickets for Aunt Tanya in Townsville. You can buy them online here.
- For those who are keen to wear their love of the ocean on their sleeve, shop from brands that support the ocean like Sea Shepherd and Project Aware.
- For the ocean lover that has it all you can adopt a turtle on their behalf with the WWF.
- Never be far from the scent of the ocean with a Palm Beach Collection Sea Salt Candle.
- A (hardcover) book! Get your coffee table inspiration via this stunning book from wave photographer Ben Thouard or the Australasian Nature Photography Book from Australian Geographic.
- For those who prefer their books digitally an AMAZON book voucher provides hours of kindle reading. Accompany the voucher with your personal ocean inspired reading.
- Invest in ocean art. Our favourites include wave photographer Ray Collins, beach artist Tony Plant and recycled plastic artist David Day.
Of course, you don’t need to show your love by buying new. Re-gifting or buying second-hand is better for the environment and can be equally as thoughtful and personalised. Gifting your time is undoubtedly the most environmentally friendly (and valuable) gift of all! Commit to spending an afternoon just hanging out at the beach, on a boat or swimming in the ocean and if you can, also commit to being electronics-free, so you can enjoy some time offline. These are the moments that truly matter in life…and will be remembered for years to come.
Let’s keep plastics out of our oceans, not only this Christmas, but every Christmas and birthday to come!
Coming soon are tips on how you can reduce your waste and up the anti on wrapping these awesome Ocean friendly gifts.